Saturday, May 8, 2010

The Cell (2000)

This is my first entry on my blog. I've decided to pick a film that is a pure example of eye candy. 2000's THE CELL directed by Tarsem Singh. This films stars Jennifer Lopez, Vince Vaughn, and Vincent D'Onofrio. I've picked a few images that stand out in the film to me.

The film takes place primarily in the subconscious of minds and because of this we are granted many beautifully abstract images. This first shot is in the mind of child psychologist Catherine Deane's patient. It's a harsh environment, but nothing compared to the terrain that awaits her later in the film.
I picked this image because of the set. I think that the production designer of this film deserves endless praise for their work. Tom Foden, you are a genius in isolation and emphasis. I dig the rusty, abandoned feel.
A glimpse inside the set reveals a serial killer's trap. The concept of his cell that slowly drowns his victims is terrifying and elaborate. He is removed from his own killing in a way. He visits after the dirtiness of death is done with and he claims his prize so to speak. This shot provides the first instance of eroticism that Carl sees in his victims.
I thought this shot was so haunting. The way he bleaches his victims' skin and makes them look like dolls is horrifying.
Catherine has entered the mind of the serial killer. The use of intense imagery and lighting in this subconscious world is harrowing. It is intensely reminiscent of H.R. Giger which is something I'm totally in love with.
The vastness of his mind and the filth/decay of it is stunning. I love the line of the adjacent staircase in this shot.

A section of the film that I find most creepy is the one where Catherine discovers these exhibits of women or mannequins. The gross lighting and brutal methods of restraint are interesting. This film has been accused of misogyny and I understand those claims. Carl objectifies women because he is taught to.

Composition of this shot = Love.
The grandiose feeling that Carl imposes upon his self-view is startling and grotesque. The impressive purple curtain, the almost phallic feeling of his throne. It all works to give him a feeling of power and Catherine is so small and vulnerable in his world.
I think Vincent D'Onofrio is quite good in this film. He brings a certain level of pathos to this role which makes you understand him. No one can agree with his actions, but the film does a bang-up job of making it clear that his abusive childhood brought him to where he is.
Gorgeous. That's all.
Monochromatic, but it totally works. This film takes an immense amount of inspiration from some astounding artwork and it definitely shows.
This is Catherine's mind. I love the complete contrast to the other minds we've seen in the film and it's such an evenly balanced set. I think that The Cell is a fascinating film...not unlike The Silence of the Lambs. It is a visual feast for the eyes, but the depravity of the images might put off some viewers. The film doesn't seek to vilify which is a point of interest. I recommend viewing it if you have not yet.

2 comments:

  1. I really like The Cell too! I think you did a good job with your review/blog post. You should do lots more!

    ~Kelsey

    ReplyDelete
  2. AGH The Cell! I LOOOOVE that shot with the three women sitting on the sand. Whatever Tarsem's faults as a writer/storyteller may be, there's no denying that he's got an orgasmically beautiful visual style.

    ReplyDelete